When you first put your home on the market, you might be hopeful for a quick sale with lots of offers. While you shouldn’t panic if it doesn’t sell the moment you list it, you should worry if months have passed and there aren’t any realistic offers. If this is the case, here are 10 reasons why it may not be selling:
1. You overvalued your property. If your house is overpriced, its simply not going to sell. Compare your property to other similar homes that have sold within the last 120 days to get a better idea of its true value. An experienced Realtor can give you an accurate value. Don’t make the mistake of tacking on the price of all of the renovations you’ve made. You cannot assume that cost translates to added value. Read our list of good renovations.
2. Your listing is poor. A poorly written or inaccurate description with no or terrible photos will definitely make a would-be buyer skip over it. Make sure your Realtor puts an effort into creating a listing that attracts buyers. Quality photos are imperative as well as highlighting all of the unique features.
3. You are always home when the house shows. Let your Realtor handle your showings. People do not feel comfortable when you are home – no matter what! You will more than likely, chase them away.
4. You’re too attached. If you refuse to negotiate a penny, then chances are you’ve become too attached to your home. If part of you doesn’t want to sell or you believe your house is the best house in the world, you will have a difficult time agreeing to selling it.
5. You haven’t had your home professionally cleaned. Even the most outdated homes, that are sparkly clean, will sell. Make sure to clean carpeting and clean windows (inside and out). Read our list.
6. You haven’t staged your home. If you’re currently living in your home, have your Realtor or a Stager professionally stage your home to show it in its best light. Make sure to remove all personal décor. If its empty, then rent furnishings and accessories. Spaces actually look smaller with no furniture. Read our blog post.
7. Your improvements are too personalized. You may think the mural you had painted on your daughters wall is incredible, but that doesn’t mean potential buyer’s will. If your improvements are too personal, then your home wont sell.
8. Your home is too cluttered. Even if it is clean, but the walls are covered with photos, the shelves are stacked high with knick-knacks, there is way too much or too big furniture, chances are it wont sell. Read our how-to list.
9. Your home is in need of too many repairs. The more repairs that are needed, the less likely a buyer will want your house. Many buyers don’t want to deal with the cost or effort of doing repair work, even if it’s a bunch of small repairs. Read our list.
10. You chose the wrong Realtor. In my opinion, choosing the right Realtor is simply the most important decision you make in selling your home. A good realtor makes the difference in selling your home in a reasonable amount of time. Our plan to sell your home.
All of these things can be fixed once you realize your mistake, however, the longer your property sits on the market, the less likely it will sell at listing price. One of the best ways to avoid this is by working with an experienced Realtor.
At Stacy Sheeley Homes, we know selling your home can be a daunting process. Let us make it easy!
See our complete Seller’s Guide to selling your home for top dollar in the fasted time possible.
Stacy Sheeley | Realty One Group | 702.292.9064 | firstname.lastname@example.org